Friday, June 4, 2010

3D Mario versus 2D Mario: SMG2 and NSMBW Data

New Super Mario Bros. Wii versus Super Mario Galaxy 2

Quick Brew Info:
As I reported on Monday of this week, Super Mario Galaxy 2 debuted on the Nintendo Channel with play-time data.  It took approximately 9 days for its data to appear.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii, released last November, also took 9 days for its play-time data to appear on the Wii's Nintendo Channel.
So, how does the play-time compare for both games, in the same amount of time?  Let's take a look!

(click image to enlarge)

Number of Players Reporting Data:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii had approximately 13,359 players reporting play-time data, for its debut back in November.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 had approximately 13,340 players reporting their play-time data, for its data debut on the Nintendo Channel.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the winner of this section, beating Super Mario Galaxy 2 by just nineteen players, for the total number reporting data for the debut.

"Total" Game-Play Hours Reported:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii had 82,335 Total Hours reported for its debut.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 has 100,663 Total Hours reported for its debut.
The extra nineteen players, mentioned above, that New Super Mario Bros. Wii had for its debut, did not help it in this section though.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 has 18,328 more game-play hours, than New Super Mario Bros. Wii had for its debut.

Amazon.com Sale Rank & Advertised Price:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii's Amazon.com sale rank was #3 when I captured the data back in November.  If I was a betting man, I would say it was #3, sitting behind Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3 and Xbox 360.
Super Mario Galaxy 2's Amazon.com sale rank was #1 and its selling price was $49.99.
Though New Super Mario Bros. Wii was not #1 at the time I gathered the data, it was at other times and has remained in the "Top 25" on Amazon.com since it released.  It is currently ranked #5 on Amazon.com, selling for $34.99.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was ranked #1 when I captured the data on Monday, but right now it is sitting at the #2 spot, selling for $49.99.

Review Score Average:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii's review score average was sitting at 86%, from Metacritic.com.
Super Mario Galaxy 2's review score average was 97.42%, from GameRankings.com.
When I started gathering review score averages on games, I used Metacritic.com;  I have since switched to GameRankings.com, as I like the full percentage shown.  Also, Metacritic.com seems to have issues once in a while, with getting the "averages" correct, due to their conversion system.


Thoughts/Poll Results:
I think it's interesting how both games were extremely close with the number of players reporting data on their debuts.
I will be keeping track of Super Mario Galaxy 2's data from now on, and will do updates/comparisons every now and then, seeing how it's comparing to New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I put up a poll last week, that asked, "Are you buying Super Mario Galaxy 2?"

Here are the results from the poll:



Questions:
Were you one of the 13,340 players to report your Super Mario Galaxy 2 play-time data this past week?
Also, were you one of the 25 people that voted, "Yes, day one purchase", in the poll?
If you have played both New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2, are they experiences that should be compared, or different games just with Mario in their titles?

As I have stated before, I have not purchased Super Mario Galaxy 2, but I do want to play it eventually.

If you are interested in either game, you can see prices for them on Amazon.com below:
  

5 comments:

  1. I've played them both and love them both equally. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a strange title for me. If you asked me what the best Mario game of all time is I would say SMG 2. If you asked me what my favorite Mario game of all-time is I would say Super Mario World. SMG 2 would be ranked #2 on my list of favorites. I really like the Galaxy games, but I'm more a fan of the traditional 2D Mario games prefer that style over the 3D games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be getting SMG2, just don't know when. Probably wait and see if I get some scratch for my birthday in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answers

    Q1: Yes, Day 1 purchase voter

    Q2: They are two different experiences. I loved playing New Super Mario Bro with multiplayer. It was fun to curse at the screen and relive classic 2D Mario with someone at the same time. It brought me back to the days of playing with friends as a kid. Galaxy 2 is so creative in levels design. Every level is different and gives you different challenges. Game of the Year contender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tony Miller:
    "If you asked me what the best Mario game of all time is I would say SMG 2. If you asked me what my favorite Mario game of all-time is I would say Super Mario World."

    That's interesting...best vs. favorite. I would think they almost go hand-in-hand, but I can see how one game may be over another.

    @Chuckpebble:
    Well, happy early birthday if I miss it!

    @Juegos de Mario Bros:
    Are you spam?

    @The Butcher:
    "It was fun to curse at the screen and relive classic 2D Mario with someone at the same time."

    I don't know if you saw my NSMBW post, from back in January, about my wife and I playing the game. It has a video included with it, yelling is involved.
    http://coffeewithgames.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-super-mario-bros-wii-causes.html

    ReplyDelete

Keep the comments clean. Rated "E" for Everyone. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...